Monday, October 17, 2005

(re-run) Run for the Border

I originally sent this email on February 14th 2004.

Greetings all, this edition finds our wayward hero ripe from the border Syrian border. (literally, there are no showers there)

Wow, well the night before we took over the border checkpoint they got mortared pretty bad...they counted about 30 rounds. Our state of the art CBR(Counter Battery Radar) did not get a hit on a single one of them either. I have pictures of the damage...no one was hurt. SO I says to myself...well, this should be interesting. Nothing much really happened while we were there. The ICDC got into a fire fight on the second night. There must have been 20-30 guys firing automatic weapons from the sound of it. And the battle lasted for about 20 minutes. We watched them push their pick-up truck back to HQ full of bullet holes and 3 flat tires. We called the ICDC HQ to see if anyone was hurt. Nope. Did they kill any ne're-do-wells? Nope. Suddenly, I could see how the Iran-Iraqi war could last for 9 years in a desert environment with no clear winner.

My guys love inspecting cars. Iraqis are only allowed to export small quantities of goods to Syria...so mostly that is what we are looking for. Benzene, their gas, is a big one. They raise their vehicles and put huge tanks on the bottom of them. See benzene is $.06 a gallon in Iraq and $6 in Syria. We are allowed to rip anything we want to out of the vehicles. If the Iraqis start getting unruly we give them the International sign of the "zip strip".(place your wrists together at about eye level) They get peaceful fast. Everyone respects the zip strip.

Other than that not a whole lot happened. It rained for the last two nights...yes, rained...and a lot of it too. It seemed like Shakespearian rain...dark and cold eluding to bad things to come.

Right now we are off cycle again. I get to do the 100% sensitive items (weapons, radios, expensive stuff like that) inventory, which is funny because our stuff is scattered all over the globe.

Having done several house raids I developed a few laws to working with OGA (Other Gov't Agency...spooks):

....but they will have to wait. I must go.

Next episode...the north missions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home